Thursday, September 3, 2009

Stuck in the Middle

While reading Gloria Anzaldua’s excerpt from Borderlands La Frontera, I began to think about the hardships mixed race individuals experience in the United States. Gloria Anzaldua did a tremendous job of pointing out that mixed race individuals had to fight both external as well as an internal battle in order to find their spot in the society. The excerpt provoked me to think of how do mixed race individuals cope with having influence from two different factors such as parents of two conflicting cultures. To elaborate on the statement what does a mixed child view themselves when their mother is from a collectivist society and their father is from an individualistic one. Gloria Anzaldua referred to my question in term un choque, meaning a cultural collision. In her excerpt, Anzaldua explains forms the same question herself “la mestiza is the product of the transfer of the cultural and spiritual of one group to another. The mestiza faces the dilemma of being a mixed breed: which collectively does the daughter of dark skinned mother listen to?” (Anzaldua 100)

In her attempt to answer the question, Anzaldua states that in order to cope with conflicting ideology the individual has to become flexible and avoid keeping certain beliefs in their place or separate if you will. The most critical factor that Anzaldua points out that will keep the the views of conflicting idea in perspective for the mixed individual is for them to develop a tolerance for both ideas and accept both. I completely agree with Anzaldua that it is crucial for a mixed individual to develop what Anzaldua stated a plural personality which will allow them to accept both cultures point of view. I completely agree with the author that the thought processes highlighted are made subconsciously by the individual due to personal experience.

Being born and living half my life in Russia, I found myself struggling to adapt to American culture once moving here with my family. The difference in the way both societies work is huge and full of opposing cultural views. I noticed that integrating both aspects of American and Russia culture helped me tremendously in ways such as individualistic view forced my to be commutative at work and school where as the collectivist idea helped me in team sports. I believe that these thought processes are made subconsciously because prior to reading the excerpt I never really though about how I had conflicting cultural ideas.

The closing part of the excerpt proposes an interesting topic. The author indicates that when the mixed individuals tolerate both ideologies then a third element is added to the self which is greater than the sum of all individual parts, an implementation of Gestalt psychology. The author suggests in the closing that this third element has the ability to break down of paradigms and creating a unity in throughout various cultures. The statement that collective dualism makes me wonder, is dualistic thinking the answer to our current day problems and, as Anzaldua indicates, does it carry the ability to stop rape, violence, and war?

2 comments:

  1. Pasha, dude I totally have to agree with you when you said that it’s very difficult for mix race individuals have to deal with when they come to the US. For the United States being such a “melting pot” of cultures it seems that we have hard time introducing new cultures to our American culture. Another thing which I enjoyed was the question you brought to yourself about how mixed race individuals cope with the two societal influences that they are always bombarded with. I am sure the some are trying to tell them to stay more with their old culture, while society is pushing them to learn American culture. I can see how hard that would be on some kids trying to be ushered into our fine country. Another part which I think was super cool that you put in, was about the mixing of Russian culture and American culture was really cool. It was a great idea and has a great point behind it. Also its pretty cool that you can use personal experience to elaborate on a point some author used to express their point of view. This offers, I think for the whole class, a refreshing look at what it means to be American. Thanks! You brought forth a perspective I think many of us wouldn’t have thought of. Great job dude keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's up Pasha,

    Nice post! Like Dan said above me, you have an interesting perspective that is pretty unique to the class. The whole concept of "mestiza consciousness" is definitely the most fascinating aspects of our readings last week, in my opinion. Dualistic thinking and Gestalt psychology are definitely powerful tools; I don't know how anyone can argue against that. The idea of combining various cultures, or at least establishing a deep understanding between the two, would have to begin on an individualistic level anyway, right? A leader can't just declare, "Okay, we all agreed that we totally understand Mexicans and their culture now," and expect an immediate change in the culture's psyche. People who have been exposed to (and often forced to choose between) two different cultures can only ever be seen as having a one-up on people who have only ever been exposed to a single culture -- at least when it comes to understanding both.

    As far as dualistic thinking leading the way into some idealistic future, I definitely think it could help contribute to that goal, but I get the feeling that there would still be too many factors outside of race that would continue to incite rape, violence or war -- since it's not necessarily the problem of refusing to understanding other races specifically, but refusing to understand at all, right? That said, I wonder what would happen if a legal, American-born Mestiza got a job at the Border Patrol? I can't really picture that ever happening, but the premise sounds ripe for Hollywood.

    ReplyDelete